All UN jobs in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
|[Saved] Technical Officer, Health System Strengthening (position no 381344) Closing date: 2016-12-21Organization: WHO Share|
Save your search
Keywords : *
Duty Station : Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Create an email alert
Keywords : All
Duty Station : Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Only send email alerts when there are new jobs
Share job to a friend
Technical Officer, Health System Strengthening (position no 381344)
Closing date: 2016-12-21Application : Apply for the job
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No:EMRO/16/TA305
Title: Technical Officer, Health System Strengthening (position no 381344)
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration of contract: Temporary appointment for 6 months (subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance)
Date:30 November 2016
Application Deadline:21 December 2016
(20 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station:Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Organization unit:EMCO Countries (EM_ACO) /
EM_SAA WHO Representative's Office, Saudi Arabia (EM_SAA)
Division of Health Systems Development (HSD)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The overall objective is to enable Member States to improve health outcomes in health system programmes and contribute the ministry of health efforts in move towards universal health coverage. This can be materialised through Increase access to quality, affordable and comprehensive people-centered health care services, improve hospital management, quality and safety of care at all levels, integration of priority health programmes in PHC, ensure health workforce development including training and deployment of local HWF to replace expatriate HWF, building public private partnership, streamlining of health care financing, increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of health services through policy dialogue and development/ updating of sound evidence based national health policy and plans. Strengthening intersectoral collaboration and community engagement tackling adverse impact of Social Determinants of Health (SDH) in addition to promoting integration of health equity, gender and human rights principles are among objectives of this programme.
Purpose of the Post:
To closely monitor the Health system strengthening programmes with a purpose to ensure effective implementation and improve health system programme development and management and move towards universal health coverage and sustainable development goals.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of WCO, Saudi Arabia, and overall guidance of the Director Health System development /EMRO, the incumbent will play a key role in ensuring appropriate implementation, supervision and monitoring of the Health System Strengthening Programmes.
Description of duties:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Provide technical leadership to WHO supported programs, including health system performance assessment, assist Ministry of Health in implementation of Strategic Plan of Primary Health Care in Saudi Arabia (2010-2020) to establish and strengthen people-centered care through family practice based PHC system, institutionalization of quality of care and patient safety initiatives and hospital management and improving health system financing mechanism.
2. Provide technical support in development of national health workforce management strategy, reducing reliance on expatriate health workforce and improve performance of the health workforce for better quality of service delivery at PHC and hospital level.
3. Provide technical guidance in developing interventions such as: assisting the MoH to strengthen intersectoral collaboration and community engagement activities for health system strengthening, facilitate public private partnership, integration of communicable diseases, NCDs, mental health, Maternal and Child Health, Violence and Injuries and Social Determinants of Health and support other interventions related to health system strengthening.
4. Coordinate WHO technical inputs on development of a strategic plan for improving the ICT services for primary, secondary and tertiary health care, investing in e-Health infrastructure, ensuring interoperability of e-Health system, monitoring the quality of the information and reporting system, and directing particular attention to under-developed data sources such as CRVS.
5. Provide technical guidance in assessing essential public health functions and in making efforts to improve their performance.
6. Ensure that programs of work and planned activities are carried out in a timely fashion and coordinated in liaison with other relevant organizations of the UN system, donors and agencies, as appropriate and contribute to the health sector component of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia).
7. Provide technical support to the Ministry of health to develop a model healthy city based on the international standards ensuring the WHO/EMRO standards are in place in the model healthy cities.
8. Coordinate overall guidance to the health sector including the MoH and other stakeholders on humanitarian actions, health system resilience, emergency healthcare services and emergency preparedness and response where required.
9. Monitor and report on the health situation including: achievements, challenges opportunities and priorities for health development in general and health system in particular.
10. Represent WHO (if asked by the Head of WCO) at interagency meetings and international, regional and national meetings aiming harmonization and alignment for health system strengthening and sustainable development goals if required.
11. Any other tasks assigned by the Head of WCO.
Essential: University degree in Medicine with Master degree in Public Health.
Desirable: PhD in public health or other relevant areas.
WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution.
WHO global Competencies model at
1) Ensuring the effective use of resources.
2) Communicating in a credible and effective way.
3) Fostering integration and teamwork.
4) Building and promoting partnership across the Organization and beyond.
5) Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
1. Proven ability to plan, organize and monitor work requiring an in-depth understanding of health system strengthen strategic direction.
2. Good knowledge and understanding of health systems strengthening, universal health coverage and sustainable development goal.
3.Good knowledge of the principles of public health and health systems.
4.Ability to work in a team, to lead and gain assistance of others in a team endeavour.
5.Ability to recommend and interpret WHO technical policies and standards and establish and maintain effective working relationships within a team with multi-cultural backgrounds in a multi-disciplinary management service environments.
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Proficiency in MS Office.
At least seven years of experience, at national and international levels, in health system programmes especially project/programme management.
Working experience within a UN organization, NGOs and/or bilateral agencies in the health related area.
Excellent knowledge of English. Arabic is highly desirable.
Applicants MUST take the time to update their PHFs BEFORE they apply.
Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates.
Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered.
A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening.
The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice (this could be the base for rosters).
Interviews will include competency-based questions.
WHO's salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a base salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WHO:
http://www.who.int Click on: . to learn more about WHO's operations
http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date
Annual salary:(Net of tax)
USD 69032 at single rate
USD 74130 with primary dependants
Post Adjustment:46.7 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Currently accepting applications
To apply off-line, please read further instructions here
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.