All UN jobs in Mogadishu, Somalia
|[Saved] Finance Assistant - Parliament (open to Somali nationals only), Mogadishu, Somalia (SC-6)Closing date: 2015-04-01 Share|
Save your search
Keywords : *
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Create an email alert
Keywords : All
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Only send email alerts when there are new jobs
Share job to a friend
Finance Assistant - Parliament (open to Somali nationals only), Mogadishu, Somalia (SC-6)
Closing date: 2015-04-01
FINANCE ASSISTANT - PARLIAMENT - (OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY)
Location :Mogadishu, SOMALIA
Application Deadline :01-Apr-15
Type of Contract :Service Contract
Post Level :SC-6
Languages Required :English
Starting Date :(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract :One Year
Expected Duration of Assignment :One Year
UNDP Somalia comprises two main clusters: (a) Governance and Rule of Law Programme; and (b) Poverty Reduction and Environment Protection Programme. The Governance and Rule of Law Programme of UNDP Somalia responds to all four outcome areas outlined in the country programme: capacity-building for peace and human security, strengthened governance and rule of law institutions, systems, practices and services, increased livelihood opportunities and improved natural resources management, and gender equality. Main project areas currently include support to constitution-making, local governance, institution building, access to justice, police and community safety. The Programme also contributes to other Outcomes and Sub Outcomes in a cross-cutting manner.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Chief Technical Advisor, Parliament and Constitution Review Project, and the direct supervision of the Programme Management Specialist, the Finance Assistant will support the overall management of administrative and financial services relating to Parliament activities in Nairobi.
The Finance Assistant will provide quality support to the project staff in all Mogadishu and work closely with Government institutions and the Parliament experts to encourage timely and high-quality completion of Parliament's work programme all regions.
The Finance Assistant is expected to also work in close collaboration with the Governance Programme staff in the Country office, UNDP counterparts and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions;
- Effective administrative and financial control in the project;
- Support to effective procurement, budgeting, financial and assets management;
- Support implementation of operational strategies;
- Effective and efficient project management support;
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Support and guide project staff in the field, implementing partners and consultants on UNDP administrative and Direct Implementation Modality (DIM) reporting requirements, clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, and related issues;
- Prepare budget and budget revisions as required;
- Update and initiate processing of project and financial entries in ATLAS;
- Reconcile the records of payments with activities and prepare new disbursements to the Project Manager;
- Proper inventory control supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies;
- Provide assistance in the preparation of budget, and other reports;
- Provision of researched information and reports for audit exercises.
Ensure effective procurement, Budgeting and Financial and Assets management, focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- Assist in the preparation of project activities budgets based on approved work plans;
- Raise requisitions and be the financial focal point utilizing ATLAS (UN financial management system) for the project,
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the project;
- Collect, maintain and update data relevant to the project areas being supported;
- Support coordination of activities implemented in all regions and promote information sharing between the regions and different components of the Program;
- Support the counterparts and UNDP programme Staff on operational issues by ensuring compliance of UNDP rules and procedures under Letter of Agreements.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities in line with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Support Project Managers and programme team on UNDP procedures to follow in terms of budgeting, contracting modalities with implementing partners;
- Actively participate in the preparation of work plans and operation plans as well as procurement plans for projects,
- Liaise with counterparts in the preparation of contracts such as letters of agreement (LOA) including activities, work plans, budget and schedule of payments and submit draft of agreements to Project Managers for approval; ensure that such agreements are up to date and that activities are not undertaken beyond contractual period;
- Maintain an appropriate filing system documenting the implementation of approved work-plan activities.
Provide Effective and efficient project management support focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that donor and other kinds of reporting are done in a timely manner and within the UNDP rules and regulations or according to the criteria set out in partnership documents with donors;
- Ensure proper reporting to Project manager on implementation, the achievement of outputs as well as, contribute to reporting on progress towards outcomes and impact;
- Prepare presentations to development partners and Project managers as required;
- Support production of bi-weekly progress reports, issues and constraints against work plan and as required to be submitted to the programme team;
- Liaise with the Program Specialist and Programme Officers to provide regular project updates for the sub-office as required, especially as related to relevant outcomes in UNSAS.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the programme team and CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project for organizational sharing and learning;
- Supports capacity-building of national counterparts;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the programme/CO.
Impact of Results.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Project. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the office and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbents own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to participate effectively in team-based information sharing environment;
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
- High client service orientation and initiative to solve problem, excellent analytical and communication skills;
- Ensures high quality and accuracy of work;
- Executes processes and transactions with a results-oriented approach;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of web based systems;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance;
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences is be desirable but not a requirement.
- 3 years of administrative or programme/project experience is required at the national level;
- Advanced skill in the usage of computer software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and web based management systems.
- Fluency in English good written and oral skills;
- Knowledge of Somali is desirable.
Terms of Service
This is a non-staff contract under the Service Contract modality of hiring of the UNDP. Individuals engaged under a Service Contract serve in their individual capacity and not as representative of a government institutions, corporate body or other authority external to UNDP. The incumbent shall not be considered as staff of UNDP, the UN common system or the government and are therefore not entitled to any diplomatic privileges or any other special status or conditions.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.