Legal and Governance Specialist for REDD+ (For Indonesian Nationality Only), Jakarta, Indonesia
|Closing Date : 2020-11-19|
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
See all 2 jobs in Jakarta, Indonesia
51611 - LEGAL AND GOVERNANCE SPECIALIST FOR REDD+ (FOR INDONESIAN NATIONALITY ONLY)
Location :Jakarta, INDONESIA
Application Deadline :19-Nov-20
Additional Category:Environment and Energy
Type of Contract :Service Contract
Post Level :SC-9
Languages Required :English
Duration of Initial Contract :up to 31 May 2015 with possibility for extension
I. Organizational Context
'UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.'
UNDP Indonesia's mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We, the UNDP Country Office (CO), aim to be a bridge between Indonesia an all donors as well as maintaining our status as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.
On 26 May 2010 the Governments of Indonesia and Norway signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) to establish a REDD+ Partnership. The first phase of this REDD+ Partnership (Phase 1) was to establish an agency with the capacity to implement and manage REDD+ projects initially in the pilot province Central Kalimantan and progressively in other priority provinces across Indonesia. A Task Force (Satuan Tugas, Satgas) was established to support this initial phase and, as of June 2013 at the end of the Task Force's mandate, the following progress was achieved:Drafting of an integrated Presidential Regulation regarding the establishment of a REDD+ Agency and governance of REDD+ in Indonesia;Finalisation of a REDD+ National Strategy (Stranas) and development of Provincial Strategies and Action Plans (PSAPs) for the eleven priority provinces;Agreement on, and legal basis for, the structure and operations of a REDD+ Financial Instrument (FREDDI); its implementation awaits the establishment of the REDD+ Agency and the subsequent release of funding for Phase 2 of the LoI;A methodology, partially trialled, for the structure and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the MRV technical unit; while international standards and an international/national REDD+ registry remain in development, the unit is ready for mobilisation following the establishment of the REDD+ Agency;Legal review of regulatory requirements related to REDD+ implementation in particular land tenure, forest and peat-land governance, forest monitoring and law enforcement, consolidation of land concessions, and a Moratorium on all new concessions for conversion of peat and natural forest in Indonesia; andSuccessful implementation of a wide range of projects by the REDD+ Task Force in the pilot province Central Kalimantan with a focus on developing an operational capacity and an enabling environment for REDD+ projects.
These achievements have prepared a basic foundation for a future REDD+ national programme that aims to address the emission-reduction target for the forestry and peat-land sectors and the national long-term goals associated with sustainable economic development and poverty reduction.
The second phase of the Indonesian-Norway partnership soon to be commenced following the establishment of the REDD+ Agency and its technical units in December 2013. The newly established REDD+ Agency has formulated its 10 imperative actions which are as follows: 1. Monitoring moratorium
2. License and concession review ? forest gazettement
3. Supports to law enforcement
4. Mapping of customary forest and capacity building for masyarakat adat
5. Forest and peat land fire management
6. Green villages
7. Green schools
8. Supports to Spatial Plan finalization
9. Supports to conflict resolution
10. Strategic programs protecting National Parks and Protected Forests
Context of this TOR:The establishment of BP REDD+ has been followed by the development of new structure formation which will support the new Agency running its functions to;To create and develop REDD+ national strategy as a basic for REDD+ implementation in Indonesia;To develop a safeguard system within REDD+ social, environment and funding mechanism;Conduct coordination in developing REDD+ policy mainstreaming and its implementation within national development;Funding management and other grant related to REDD+;Prepare recommendation related to REDD+ to determine Indonesia's position in international forum;Law enforcement coordination within REDD+ programme/ project implementation. Some of these functions have been prepared prior the establishment of BP REDD+.
Under the supervision of REDD+ National Project Manager UNDP is seeking to engage Funding Instrument Legal Specialist that can provide counsel on legal and institutional building related matters to support the BP REDD+ function of funding management and to support the development of funding instrument mechanism. The Specialist will ensure that project implementation is implemented in accordance with prevailing laws and regulations and where required will also recommend legal reform. Through the assistance of the Funding Instrument Legal Specialist BP REDD+ will ensure that the financial instruments established are compliant with prevailing laws and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
II. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of the key function:Under the supervision of the REDD+ National Project Manager, the incumbent:Assist in the legal and institutional building matters related to the development of funding instrument mechanism for REDD+ in IndonesiaReview, prepare and/or develop policy, regulatory and legal documents in relation to the establishment of funding instrument for REDD+ in Indonesia prior its release to the partner organizations, donors or public.Review, prepare and/or develop legal strategy related to funding mobilization and public benefit to be utilized through funding instrument for REDD+ in IndonesiaLiaise and coordinate with the project management unit to ensure strategic direction of the work stream focusing on achievement of the following results:
1. Assists in the legal and institutional building matters related to the development of funding instrument mechanism for REDD+ in Indonesia.Provide advice and recommendation materials related to the discussion and negotiation with the related line ministries and other government agencies in regards to the development of funding instrument mechanism;Provide advice and recommendation related to the negotiation with donors on project portfolio and activities;Directly liaise with key stakeholders including ministries/government institution and donors to assist discussion and negotiation process in relation to the establishment and development of funding instrument.
2. Review, prepare and/or develop policy, regulatory and legal documents in relation to establishment of funding instrument for REDD+ in Indonesia prior its release to the partner organizations, donors or public.Official documents: budget, agreements, regulations, concept notes, policy papers, etc.; andSupporting material: presentations, white papers, briefings, key resources etc.
3. Review, prepare and/or develop legal and governance strategies related to funding mobilization and public benefit to be utilized through funding instrument for REDD+ in IndonesiaProvide analysis and recommendation from legal perspective on mobilization of fund including concept notes, policy papers, briefing and presentation.Provide analysis and recommendation from legal perspective on defining carbon and non-carbon benefits of REDD+ in Indonesia including concept notes, policy papers, briefing and presentation.Provide analysis and recommendation from legal perspective on fund flow and fund-channelling mechanism of REDD+ benefits REDD+ in Indonesia including concept notes, policy papers, briefing and presentation;Provide analysis and recommendation from legal perspective on incentives and dis-incentives to support REDD+ implementation in Indonesia including concept notes, policy papers, briefing and presentation.
4. In cooperation with Project Coordinator, liaise with the project management unit to ensure strategic direction of the work stream focusing on achievement of the following results:Ensures full compliance of the corporate prevailing rules, regulations and policies as well as ensure that the project direction is in line with the REDD+ Agency strategies.Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the work stream, organization of the work stream staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.Effective facilitation of coordination among members of the Project Board through Project Board meetings, informal and formal communications.
III. Competencies and Critical Success Criteria
Functional Competencies:Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contactsAnalyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysisGenerates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing thingsDocuments and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own disciplineUnderstands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the positionAnalyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposalsStrives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learningDemonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Basic research and analysisResearches and documents 'best practices' in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systemsMaintains information/databases on system design featuresDevelops simple system components
Establishing effective client relationshipsResearches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashionOrganizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlinesEstablishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clientsActively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Basic monitoringGathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systemsMonitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
Core Competencies:Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrityDemonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgmentSelf-development, initiative-takingActing as a team player and facilitating team workFacilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectivelyCreating synergies through self-controlManaging conflictLearning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
IV. Recruitment Qualifications
Education:Master's degree or equivalent in Legal, Environment and/or Business Management related studies. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience:Minimum of 3 years working experience for Master degree and minimum of 7 years for Bachelor degree related to legal, environmental and climate financing related issues
General RequirementsDemonstrated familiarity with UNDP development projects in Indonesia and an understanding of Government and UN/UNDP procedures would be desirable.Solid experience producing high quality reports.Strong knowledge and experience in project management support and coordination as well as a proven capacity to communicate well in spoken and written Indonesian and English.Knowledge on various donors' reporting requirements would be an advantage.Excellent analytical skills and advanced computer skills.Good inter-personal and team building skills.Full time availability for project management support duties is essential.
Other Requirements:In addition to the scope and output stated above, the incumbent will be required to undertake other ad hoc tasks that may arise during the contract period. These tasks will be delegated by the incumbent's supervisor who will ensure that these ad hoc tasks do not impede on the incumbent's ability to meet contractual obligations/deliverables.All materials and other intellectual property produced while working under contract including, but not limited to, documents, presentations, white papers, photographs and other media, will remain the property of BP REDD+ and are required to be submitted for archiving.
Language Requirements:Excellent written and spoken English and Bahasa Indonesia
APPLICANT MUST COMPLETE P11 FORM AND SUBMIT AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATION . Click here to down load the formP-11
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply . All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements
ATLAS POSITION NO.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.