|Closing Date : 2017-01-13|
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
See all 2 jobs in Geneva, Switzerland
Application : Apply for the job
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No:HQ/16/TRA/FT822
Title: Proofreader (Spanish)
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: Two years - Renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and continuing need for the post
Date:23 December 2016
Application Deadline:13 January 2017
(20 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station:Geneva, Switzerland
Organization unit:HQ/TRA Translation Service (HQ/TRA) /
HQ/WPC Word Processing Centre (HQ/WPC)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
Within the Office of the Director-General, Department of Governing Bodies, the Office of Language Services (LNG) provides high-quality, timely and cost-effective translation, interpretation, editing official records, word-processing and graphics services for the governing bodies, the communications department and technical programmes of WHO, so as to make health policy and technical documentation from WHO accessible to its target readerships in the official languages of the Organization.
Purpose of the Position
As a member of the word-processing centre, provides efficient and high-quality work involving reading and checking texts and documents for publication, at the request of the Organization's different services and units or for conferences and various meetings. The incumbent is required to use the word-processing system.
Description of duties:
This position is the first level of formal review within the quality control process involving extensive proof reading against the draft document. After this initial review, corrections are made and the document is again reviewed by the supervisor. The work may also be verified by originating unit. Positive feedback is a major indicator of quality performance. General guidance and timeframes are discussed. Assistance is obtained from the supervisor regarding complex or difficult issues. The incumbent is relied upon to provide on-going guidance and training to new staff regarding WHO publication standards and product presentation and formats as well as general guidance on proofreading documents.
Summary of Assigned duties
As senior proofreader/word processing operator for Spanish, the incumbent:
1. Reviews and proofreads all documents, reports and tables to ensure the document is consistent with rough drafts and identifies issues relating to format, font, and medical, technical and scientific terminology, etc.
2. Reviews all documents to ensure overall consistency involving the identification of missing information, different terminology, and/or formatting errors in the various documents.
3. Imports graphics from source files and redesigns them for insertion into Word, taking into consideration the layout requirements of other languages.
4. Contacts professional, technical, editorial, and/or translation staff to obtain clarification on specific issues and/or terminology.
5. Follows-up on identified issues with the supervisor to ensure that revisions are included in all versions of the document.
6. Processes and formats a variety of documents, reports, statistical tables and official letters from a variety of rough drafts or audio tapes, using a variety of programs.
7. Assists in providing training and mentoring new staff.
8. Supervises, recruits and manages performance of team, including temporary staff for governing body meetings.
9. Performs other related duties.
Completion of secondary school, or its equivalent.
Completion of specialized courses in secretarial/document production to prepare a variety of documents and correspondence and import documents from a variety of formats.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/ . Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually.
- Strong skills working in a team and organizing the work of others.
- Demonstrated ability in word processing/document production methods and practices, including the latest software and related techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices associated with proof-reading and quality control.
- The work involves keeping abreast of the latest software and techniques for the preparation of professional looking documents.
- Continuing study is also required of scientific/medical/technical terminology and related translations used at WHO.
- The work involves long periods of sitting, keyboarding, and looking at a monitor.
- The work also involves intensive periods reading and reviewing documents to maintain quality control.
- Word processing work areas are open-plan offices and this result in lack of privacy, frequent distractions and noise inconvenience.
- The work involves using a Visual Display Unit (VDU) to prepare/correct documents.
- The work involves a continual requirement to update and be aware of the information systems and codes used in the Centre.
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way
2. Fostering integration and teamwork
3. Producing results
4. Moving forward in a changing environment
5. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
At least 5 years of relevant experience working in WHO and/or the UN system to understand the various document production standards associated with official, governance, governing body and technical documents involving specialized formats and terminology.
Experience of leading teams on various shifts and providing services under high pressure and strict deadlines.
Expert knowledge of Spanish.
Intermediate knowledge of English.
This vacancy is published in English only.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WHO:
http://www.who.int (to learn more about WHO's operations)
http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date.
This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of Geneva.
Annual salary:(Net of tax)
CHF 73'876 at single rate
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
A written test and interviews may be used as a form of screening
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Currently accepting applications
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.